“A public relations program plan identifies what is to be done, why, and how to accomplish it.” Plans include eight basic elements:
- Situation – The three situations that most often apply are the organization must conduct remedial program to overcome a problem or negative situation, the organization needs to conduct a specific one-time project situation, or the organization wants to reinforce an ongoing effort to preserve its reputation and public support.
- Objectives – There are informational objectives which increase public awareness and deliver key messages and motivational objectives which are bottom-line oriented.
- Audience – Specific publics are chosen as target audiences based on demographics such as age, income, gender, ect.
- Strategy – How an objective is to be achieved with guidelines and key message themes.
- Tactics – Specific activities and strategies of operations
- Calendar/timetable – Just as it sounds: dates set out for the project
- Budget – How much money will be spent that is broken up into staff time and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Evaluation – Were the objections successful?