This chapter is about the different types of communication, and how communication works in public relations. An important form of communication is two-way communication where communication is balanced between the sender and receiver. The most effective form of two-way communication is a face-to-face conversation. While mass communication is best to reach the masses, it cuts off immediate feedback.
Types of audiences:
- passive audiences: look at messages for entertainment and look at messages when “doing little else’ (bored)
- active audiences: seek information therefore need more sophisticated messages
Write for clarity.
- Use symbols, acronyms, or slogans: offering simplicity of messages
- Avoid jargon: messages need to be written for a wide variety of audiences
- Avoid clichés and hype words: can undermine a message
- Avoid euphemisms: say what you mean
- Avoid discriminatory language: don’t offend people