News Release (or press release)
- This is a release given to the editor of a newspaper for consideration to be written and published in the newspaper. A news release may also be published in a magazine or aired on broadcast stations.
- A news release should be written like a news story. The first sentence should resemble a lead for a story. There needs to be the most important information first: who, what where, when and why.
Media kits (or press kit)
- Like a news release it is used to launch events or new products.
- Often contains a press release. Usually more creative than a press release, a media kit is very decorative and may contain feature stories and background information.
- Another way to let an editor know about an event or product to get the editors attention in hopes of getting a story published about their information.
- This is a short letter or maybe even a note given to the editor.
Five Different Ways to Distribute Media:
- First-class mail
- Electronic wire services
- Web based newsrooms