A cover letter is an important part of a job applicaiton. There are many blog posts providing advice on how to write a cover letter, but this is not one of those posts. This post is a play-by-play of the cover letter writing process months into a job search.
To whom it may concern:
To whoever I stalked on LinkedIn:
To whoever I stalked on the company site:
To thank God I have a contact at the company:
First sentence let’s see . . .
I am interested in this position.
I am passionate about this position.
I am passionate about this industry.
I am experienced in this, that and the other.
What should go first?
Never mind, second paragraph –
I have done this skill in this situation.
Third paragraph –
I have don this skill in this situation.
Fourth paragraph –
I will be excellent at these things because of this.
Oh crap should those all be bullets?
- I have done this job skill in this situation.
- I have don this job skill in this situation.
- I will be excellent at these things because of this.
Finally, conclusive paragraph –
Do I leave them with a call to action?
- I look forward to hearing from you for a potential interview to further review my skills and qualifications.
Do I take the call to action?
- I look forward to learning more about the opportunity. I will contact you in two weeks to follow-up.
Do I say thank you? or best?
Oh just forget it!
PLEASE HIRE ME; I AM QUALIFIED! ASK MY REFERENCES OR INTERVIEW ME!
Attached is my resume and requested writing samples.