You are currently browsing the monthly archive for October 2012.
A cover letter is an important part of a job applicaiton. There are many blog posts providing advice on how to write a cover letter, but this is not one of those posts. This post is a play-by-play of the cover letter writing process months into a job search.
To whom it may concern:
To whoever I stalked on LinkedIn:
To whoever I stalked on the company site:
To thank God I have a contact at the company:
First sentence let’s see . . .
I am interested in this position.
I am passionate about this position.
I am passionate about this industry.
I am experienced in this, that and the other.
What should go first?
Never mind, second paragraph –
I have done this skill in this situation.
Third paragraph –
I have don this skill in this situation.
Fourth paragraph –
I will be excellent at these things because of this.
Oh crap should those all be bullets?
- I have done this job skill in this situation.
- I have don this job skill in this situation.
- I will be excellent at these things because of this.
Finally, conclusive paragraph –
Do I leave them with a call to action?
- I look forward to hearing from you for a potential interview to further review my skills and qualifications.
Do I take the call to action?
- I look forward to learning more about the opportunity. I will contact you in two weeks to follow-up.
Do I say thank you? or best?
Oh just forget it!
PLEASE HIRE ME; I AM QUALIFIED! ASK MY REFERENCES OR INTERVIEW ME!
Attached is my resume and requested writing samples.
Wow! I have not logged on in so long I didn’t remember what the log on screen looked like.
Anyway, I still love blogging, but I am trying to figure out where I want this blog to go. If you have been following at all, this blog has been college based.
Well now I have graduated. Six months ago actually! Wow I can’t believe I graduated six months ago.
So now while I try to figure out what ever I am going to do with my life, I will also try to figure out what I am going to do with this blog.
If anyone is or was reading, I hope you enjoy!
– Brianna (the was student now new professional trying to make it as a whatever it is I want to be tomorrow!)